Monday, May 4, 2009

Cherry Pie



Well, it is amazing that this post is not about my kids. I made a cherry pie on Sunday. It looked so great. I didn't think I could get it to look any better. I was so proud. I have worked on pies making them look good for awhile. Well I did something I shouldn't have though. I made the pie crust from lard. From all that I have read lard is supposed to make a flakier and better crust than butter. I substituted lard for butter in my recipe. It was harder measuring the lard cube than the stick of butter cube and needless to say. I think I added to much lard. The crust was awful!!!! It just tasted like straight lard. So we just scooped out the middle and didn't eat the crust. I told Doug it was my subconscious trying to eat healthy since the crust had the most calories. Oh well. Doug said well I think you got pie making down just need to work on the taste of your crust though. Thanks Doug.

2 comments:

Donene said...

It looks delicious! I have tasted a lard crust and it was the flakiest yummy pie crust I have ever had, so maybe you put in too much.

Unknown said...

It looks really tasty in the picture though. Lard just does not sound very good though. I think I would have gagged and thrown up.