Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Day in the Life of 4 boys

Well, my day started out early. I got up at 6:30 a.m. and exercised. I then tried to get breakfast for the boys since we had to be out the door at 7:50 a.m. to pick up Doug at the car shop and take him to work. Well, I succeeded in feeding 3 of the 4 breakfast. But never fear, I had leftover peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from the park the day before. So Evan the 4th who did not get breakfast had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the car.

The drive was uneventful and we got Doug to work. We then stopped at Winco to get groceries and supplies for the boys and Doug to go on their Father and Son campout tomorrow. We quickly made our way through the grocery store. With the normal comments, "Boy, you sure have your hands full." and an occasional "You have a cute baby." I don't mind the "hands full" comment this one I get at least five times before we come home on an outing.

The checkout is always tricky though. By that time Bryce will not be coerced into staying in the seat of the cart and if I don't let him get out he simply stands up and tries to get out himself. So at the checkout while I am trying to unload all of the groceries, (which is usually quite a bit since grocery shopping is not fun with 4 little boys and I try to go the least possible), and then trying to bag the groceries. At the same time keeping my 3rd eye on Bryce since most people don't see him crawling on the floor. I did get the comment from a man after him seeing on the floor. You do use anti-bacterial wipes don't you. I kindly replied "yes", while in my mind saying yes when I can get them to hold still which usually means I have to literally tackle them and then wipe them down. And yes sometimes I am too tired to do it.

Well, we got to the car and the boys play drove the car while I loaded the groceries in. We got home and Bryce loves to play with the ride-on toys in the garage while I unload the car. Well when I was almost finished. I smelled a putrid smell wafting from the direction of my 1 year old. I figured he had a dirty diaper and that I would change it as soon as I was done unloading the car. A few moments later Carson came into the garage and went "oh, yuck. Mom, Bryce has poop running down his legs." Sure enough the vile concoction was running down his legs and getting all over the garage floor. I scooped up Bryce and asked Layne to get all of the toys out of the tub so they would not get contaminated and instructed Carson how to get the hose and spray out the garage.

Well, that disaster was averted and Bryce was all clean. I came downstairs and heard the water running in the bathroom. I figured the Evan had left the water running after he had washed his hands. So I kindly reminded Evan that he needed to turn the water off after he washed his hands. I then went in the bathroom to turn the faucet off. I had forgotten though a crucial thing you should do when you have kids though.

A few days earlier Carson had done a craft project where he painted a submarine and put it together. He had gotten paint on his shirt and I put it in the sink to soak. Well the shirt was still in the sink so when I walked to the bathroom something was definitely not right. There was a river of water coming down the hallway and there was an inch of water in the bathroom. I yelled for Carson and Layne to bring me every towel they could find and started bailing. It did take every towel in the house to mop up the water.

I did have planned to mop all the floors today and Evan helped out in that endeavor.

Well I then went back to putting the groceries away and I realized I had to wash out the fridge since if I simply put the groceries on the shelf you wouldn't be able to get them off since their was sticky glue like substance everywhere. Hmmm, I wonder how that got there?

That finished I fed the boys and put Bryce in bed. And while I was upstairs I noticed that Layne had plugged in our portable heater because he thought it was cold in the toy room. Well the thermostat now read 85 degrees. So I turned off the heater and turned on the Air conditioning. And all was silent. I did everything I could think of to make it come on. I even flipped all the fuses and nothing.

But all is well. I got all the floors mopped, the groceries put away, the air conditioning turned on by itself a couple of hours later(I still don't know why it did), and even with the comments from strange people commenting on how difficult it would be to have 4 boys even to the extent where some have said "Don't you know about birth control", I feel sad for them, not angry about those comments because when I look back on my life when I am old and can't do anything else. I won't just feel proud of what I have accomplished like most people do. I will be old and laughing about all my wonderful memories, not just laughing because I am senile.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know how you survive some days!! And why don't people HELP instead of making some stupid comment. I was at a farmers market the other day and was up to the register paying for my things, and Livy was just like 5 feet away playing with some apples and an older guy said, "Uh, your little one is getting away!" No, she's not, she is right there. I can see her, but thanks for making me feel like I can't take care of my kids. IDIOTS!! I love your stories though. You should do a reality TV show. :)

Donene said...

These stories remind me of days gone by adn how I wished that some people would leave their comments to thmselves. I vowed when I was a grandma and I saw a young mother struggling that I would quickly go and help and reserve any judgements. I remember feeling inadequate and irritated by some people but now I can laugh about it and maybe I am at the senile stage. Way to go all you mothers out their with more than one child you are doing a great job!! I loved the diving pictures in the kiddy pool with their make shift swiiming suits. Keep up the good work.