Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Layne's Underwater Birthday

Usually my sons pick some kind of superhero or something to do with guns for their birthday theme.  Layne decided he wanted a water birthday.  I was ecstatic it gave me so many more things to work with.

When asked about his cake.  He said he wanted a blue cake to be the water and an octopus.  This is how it turned out.  I though it looked pretty good.


The decorations were so much fun.  I made a shark watermelon bowl.  You make an angle slice on the bottom to sit flat and then a crescent shape for the mouth.  You carve the teeth and eyes and use part of the angled slice and attach it with toothpicks. 


We then made the coral reef out of cups.  We pick up colored cups at the dollar store and then hot glued them together in a loose stacking shape.  We then finished off with splattering them with paint to give them more dimension.


 We filled new sand buckets with treats and covered lemonade bottles with a picture of a swim trunk.  We also made nutter butter sandals.  I don't know if you can see them.



My favorite food they ate were octopus hot dogs.  The really like the blue jello in cups with sea creatures floating in them.  I don't have a picture of that but all of these ideas came from my pinterest pins under kids birthday parties.


We had a blast playing with friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everything looks so awesome. Well done! Gotta love pinterest.